Saturday, March 17, 2012

Waiting for the Tide

Waiting for the Tide


Being with you

is like being on a deserted island.


There is plenty of wood

here to make a raft.


I was hoping for a dream cabin

or even a humble hut.


Our wood is strewn about the beach.

Water stained and whittling away in

the days heat.


You help me tie the wood together.

The raft is almost complete.

Unconsciously you ask,

"what are we building?"


Smiling, I say, "I think your words

will help me float away."


You scan the horizon

looking for another wake.

You ask me if I see one.

You ask me for her name.


A gull flies over head,

a palm garland captured

within its mouth.

The shadow runs across

my face, a moment refreshed.


I ask you one more time,

"would you deep sea dive with me?"

I sense treasures below.




Being with you

is like being on a deserted island.


So thirsty, I am so thirsty.


The sun bakes into me

with more golden glow.

I am shiny with sweat,

and speckled with sand.

Like a fish washed up to shore.

Fresh.


You say, "going to the other

side for some fishing."

I play with a bit sand in my hand.


A few more coconuts

are within reach again,

just enough to pacify

and quench our thirst.

An easy climb for you.

I am so grateful for when you do.


Sun will set in a few hours.

so, I build a fire.

There is plenty of wood here.


It will be dark soon.

It will be dark soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment